On May 29, we posted about the joint settlement agreement between the Heating, Air-conditioning & Refrigeration Distributors International (HARDI), Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA), the Air-conditioning, Heating & Refrigeration Institute (AHRI) and the Department of Energy (DOE) on regional energy-efficiency standards for gas furnaces and central air-conditioning units. It is essential that HVAC professionals are aware of and understand the new standards – which go into effect January 1, 2015 – in order to provide honest, professional service to their customers.
We spelled out the 5 major changes to the regional efficiency standards for you last week. Now here’s how our equipment will be impacted, as we understand it today:
- The efficiency standard for heat pumps applies nationally and is governed by the import date. By December 31, 2014, we must have imported the last 13 SEER heat pumps. This has a minor impact on our equipment. Almost all of our heat pump systems are above 14 SEER, except for these combinations: PUZ-A24NHA4(BS)/PLA-A24BA and PUZ-A30NHA4(BS)/PLA-A30BA; these can only be used during the 18-month grace period with outdoor units that were imported before January 1, 2015.
- The efficiency standards for air-conditioning systems are regional and are applied based on the date of installation. The regional standard is reflected in the efficiency values listed on the ENERGYGUIDE label or yellow hang tags.
- Southwest: After January 1, 2015, many of the ratings of our system combinations, especially P-Series combinations, will fall below the new minimum EER values (see the May 29 blog post for lists of the new minimum efficiencies, specifically the EER requirements for the Southwest region), at which time, these system combinations can only be installed during the 18-month grace period with our outdoor units that were imported before January 1, 2015.
- Southeast: Certain cooling-only combinations will not meet the regional qualifications in this region and include PUY-A24NHA4(BS)/PLA-A24BA, PUY-A30NHA4(BS)/PLA-A30BA, PUY-A12NHA4(BS)\PLA-A12BA, and PUY-A12NHA4(BS)/PEA-A12AA. These system combinations can only be installed during the 18-month grace period with our outdoor units that were imported before January 1, 2015.
- As of January 1, 2015, our two single-speed systems (MS-A09/12WA) will not meet the minimum efficiency in the Southeast or Southwest areas. These system combinations can only be installed during the 18-month grace period with our outdoor units that were imported before January 1, 2015.
Click here to learn about the energy-efficient designs of our products, which will allow them to comply with the standards. To read the March 11 joint settlement issued by the HARDI, ACCA, the AHRI and the DOE, click here.